Yields: 4 quarts
Squash soup is a staple through the cold months and every home cook needs a go-to recipe in the pocket -- so bookmark this officially into your back pocket! We love this recipe as you can make extra to eat a second time through the week and also tuck extra away into the freezer for a busy week when you’re short on time. Grab a crusty loaf of bread and your weekly bag of micros and dinner is served! These toppings are an amazing way to freshen up and give textural variety to an otherwise uniformly smooth soup. Play around with toasted seeds, bagel seasoning, or even crispy fried onions or shallots -- our radish micros will take care of the rest!
3 pound (approx 6 cups) Butternut squash, seeded, cut in half
1 pound (approx 2 cups) Acorn squash, seeded, cut in half
4 c. chicken stock
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup butter
¾ tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
¾ tablespoon curry
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon chili powder (optional)
7 oz full fat coconut milk
8 oz (1 small tub) organic sour cream
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 package (3 ounces / 85 grams) Forward Greens Radical Radish microgreens
- Roast squash in an oven for 25 minutes at 425 degrees. Squash is done when flesh is soft with a fork inserted. Allow to cool slightly and scoop all flesh with a spoon, discarding the squash skins.
- In a soup pan or dutch oven over medium heat, warm butter. Toss in chopped onion and garlic, increasing heat lightly to saute for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown, scraping up browned bits as you go.
- Prepare a blender and add half of your cooked squash, sauteed onion and garlic mixture, seasonings, and broth, blending on high until it’s thick and as velvety as possible, about 2 minutes. Repeat this step with the remaining half of the ingredients.
- Pour finished soup into a stock pot and simmer on lowest possible setting, covered, for about 20 minutes, allowing all the flavors to incorporate. Watch and stir frequently to make sure it is not boiling.
- Add coconut milk and stir to incorporate.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, a light sprinkle of cilantro and a sprinkle of microgreens.
Store in airtight containers for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months. Thaw from the freezer the night before and reheat on the stovetop.