The highlight of this dish is experiencing the juicy, sweet watermelon paired with creamy labneh. Tossed in rich olive oil and tangy red wine vinegar, finished with a gorgeous mixture of spicy microgreens it makes for a stunning and sophisticated side dish, that is WAY easier than it presents. If you haven’t made labneh before, not to worry! It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3. Literally. Consider making a double batch if you have enough yogurt on hand, it’s like sour cream from the healthier side of heaven. Sweet or savory, we think you’ll love it. Use as much or as little labneh as you wish, the leftover honeyed labneh makes an amazing topping for granola or smoothie bowls, breakfast toasts or even added to fresh fruit as a simple snack.
1 cup whole milk greek yogurt, strained
1 tablespoon honey
Sweet n’ Hot Watermelon Salad
2 pounds (~ 8 cups) seedless watermelon, rind removed, cut into 1-1.5-inch square, chunky pieces
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
½ tablespoon poppy seeds
Flakey sea salt
1 package (1.5 ounces / 42.5 grams) Forward Greens Hot Mix
- Begin by making labneh. Line a fine strainer with a few layers of cheesecloth and set over a bowl or use a standard nut milk bag and hang inside a wide mouth mason jar, secured with a rubber band. Be sure to hang your bag or cheesecloth 1-2 inches above the bottom of the glass so there is room for liquid to drain without touching the yogurt.
- Spoon yogurt into the lined area and cover, by folding layers of cheesecloth over or closing nut milk bag to cover the yogurt completely. Transfer straining yogurt to the refrigerator overnight, or at least 12 hours. The longer you let it strain, the thicker it becomes; 24 hours is ideal.
- Remove strained labneh from the fridge, unfold and remove cheesecloth. If using a nut milk bag, transfer to a jar or other airtight container. Stir in honey and set in the refrigerator until you need it.
- Place cut watermelon pieces in a large bowl and drizzle oil/vinegar mixture over watermelon. Using a soft spatula, gently fold in the vinaigrette to coat, being careful not to break watermelon pieces.
- Assemble your salad by first spreading the labneh over a shallow serving bowl or individual plates with the back of a spoon or rubber spatula. Top with a serving of dressed watermelon, allowing some of the juice to spill onto the plate. Finish by sprinkling with several tablespoons of Forward Greens Hot Mix microgreens, a sprinkle of poppy seeds and flaky sea salt. Enjoy immediately. Option here to also layer about ½ cup of Hot Mix below the watermelon as well as a sprinkle on top, or a layer in the middle of watermelon pieces, have fun with it!